Year of collaboration
2003 – 2021
Context: Global in-vitro diagnostics leader
Switzerland and Germany-based Roche Diagnostics is a world leader in the in-vitro diagnostics (IVD) industry. The Roche Diagnostics IVD equipment ranges from desk to room-sized modular systems enabling clinicians to accurately and efficiently prepare, process and analyse patient samples.
Aim: A long-term outsourcing partner that could consistently deliver
Roche Diagnostics products are complex, with a range of supporting information: UI, online help, training and operator manuals. For regulatory, and usability, reasons, all the information must be available in the local market languages. The Roche Diagnostics standards, processes and tools were well-established, but could a partner consistently deliver?
Challenges: Complex equipment that needed to meet strict regulations
Everything about the working relationship had to reflect the sensitivity of the equipment’s purpose. Roche Diagnostics team had to be able to trust their documentation partner’s commitment to quality and their ability to respond as business priorities shifted throughout the product development lifecycle.
Solution: An 18 year partnership relationship covering authoring, translation, product localization and consultancy
The 3di team:
- Worked as an integral part of the Roche Diagnostics product development lifecycle, covering multiple products.
- Liaised directly with development engineers and product managers throughout Roche Diagnostics supply chain.
- Authored, translated and managed an integrated single-source suite of information that was published in multiple languages within the equipment control panel UI, as online help, and as PDF training and operator manuals.
- Worked to Roche Diagnostics standards using tools and frameworks including Structured FrameMaker, Schema ST4, WebWorks, Trados, Catalyst, Passolo, MS Visual Studio and various XML and HTML editors.
- Consulted on process, tools and framework adaptations and innovations.
Result: Compliant, multi-lingual documentation and UI consistently delivered on time
- 3di’s unique combination of technical authoring, translation and localization expertise was crucial to how the partner relationship evolved. The single partner relationship, over the many years of product lifecycles, delivered consistent quality, and management and communication efficiencies for Roche Diagnostics.
- 3di’s scale and culture has enabled long-term relationships to thrive, and supported smooth transitions when the 3di team needed to grow or shrink to reflect Roche Diagnostics product lifecycles.
- Roche Diagnostics must audit its suppliers and 3di consistently scored in the highest category of quality process maturity and delivery.
- As the outsource partner relationship with 3di evolved, Roche Diagnostics became more and more efficient at supporting its global customers with clear and compliant product information.
“3di has the know-how, the relevant experience and the project managers to deliver our projects and adhere to our high standards.”