Writing product user guide
Your product is almost ready and now would be the perfect time to write the manual. But you cannot devote core resources to it and cannot wait to hire dedicated staff. Using 3di as a service provider makes you move faster because we are set and ready to go.
We have the experience to understand your priorities, and what this means for getting user guides and other content ready for when the product is ready.
From luxury phones to hay-bale sterilisers, we have supported just about every conceivable product invented by mankind. So we have processes, tools and templates ready that mean we can create engaging, accurate and useful guides for your product no matter who your users are, or which languages they speak.
3di knows how to produce exactly the information you and your customers will need, whatever you call your product user guides. For example: instruction manual, operator instructions, user manual, or product guide.
3di can help you to create a more strategic approach
While we are helping you achieve your immediate tactical goal, we can lay the groundwork with you to start taking a more strategic approach to supporting your products. A typical roadmap to having a more strategic approach in place might be:
- Design your information so that it is useful, accurate, engaging and easy to reuse
- Build your information in modular ‘chunks’
- Author, manage and publish using a modular XML-based documentation system
- Change the mix of content types you publish
- Improve information integration with your support portal, and marketing
- Radically reduce the cost of translation and bring down barriers to more export
How 3di can help
Using dedicated 3di technical writers could save you up to 30% on your overall user documentation costs – resources that you could use to create great products. And freeing your engineers and product managers from writing content also gets them back to developing great products.
The best product user guides typically contain as little text as possible, and make smart use of graphics, illustrations, photos and even video. The right balance will engage and accurately inform your customers, help them appreciate why they bought the product, and reduce the risk of them calling your customer support team.
Our technical writers work alongside your team to fully understand how your products work, and, more importantly, how your customers can get the best from using them. We use topic-based and single-sourcing approaches to create flexible content. In this way we can create and maintain your user documentation efficiently, and react to your changing business needs.
Why the 3di approach works:
- Information is accurate and engaging
- Users can achieve what they need more quickly
- No additional cost for authoring tools
- Engineering resources are used more efficiently
- Easier and quicker to create translated multi-lingual versions