Software user help
By providing your customers with clear online help and support, you allow them to find the help they need instantly and take away the frustration of having to wait around for that email or chat reply or hanging on the end of a phone. For you, it means reduced support costs and training, and customers more engaged with your product.
The secret to genuinely useful online help is to make it feel like part of the product. Here are some examples of what this means when 3di supports you:
- only write what users will actually need
- separate ‘Concept’, ‘Task’ and ‘Reference’ information, but make linking easy
- make use of graphics, video, illustrations and tables
- embed what you create as close to the user’s task as possible
- reuse as much of the content as possible to help buyers assess the software, and to help your support staff (and the users) solve problems
Your software users or administrators often start as software buyers
According to a survey by SDL 88% of purchasers say they rely on technical product information to make a purchasing decision. Most customers trust the manufacturer’s website (61%) over other sources of product information. With these stats in mind, it makes sense to ensure that technical product information is readily available on your website and of a sufficiently high quality to represent your brand. And it’s better if it’s not ‘marketing’ content – just clear, accurate and easy to find.
The challenges of legacy documentation
For many years the most common approach to making user documentation available online was to publish existing PDF user guides on a website. Often access to these was restricted and only made available to partners and customers. This approach had, and still has, the following key drawbacks:
- Content behind a wall is not accessible to prospective customers, so you make it more difficult for those 88% of purchasers who are interested in your product.
- PDFs are not readily searchable and difficult to read on mobile devices, so they restrict the number of people that can find them and use them.
- You can’t track what people are reading in a PDF, so you lose vital information about what customers are interested in.
If your software is browser-based then your software user help should be too
Whether you are creating new content, or reusing legacy documents, publishing HTML rather than PDFs is easier and more effective. This approach has the following benefits:
- HTML content is easy to find, browse and display.
- It is more flexible – it can be incorporated into the product UI itself, or a browser extension of the product as well as your website.
- Standard web analytics tools enable you to understand what content readers are interested in.
- Keyword-rich content on your website improves your SEO performance.
- Commercially sensitive information in your legacy documents can be identified and excluded from the publicly available content.
How 3di can help
3di has the expertise to make the right recommendations about how best to provide software user help. We know how to efficiently convert and reuse legacy content. And we know how to understand software usability and the impacts on what the most important software user help will be. We have the tools available to produce and distribute content to the people who need it, for example prospective customers, users, or support staff. We use proven approaches and understand how to apply the latest thinking in:
- Multi-channel publishing
- Embedded content
- Tailored guides
- Incorporating videos and screenshots
- Interactive knowledge bases
- Support portals and chatbot integration
- Software localization
So not only do your customers benefit from an improved experience, but that 88% of prospective customers can also have access to the high-quality product information you already have to help them make their purchasing decisions.
Case StudiesConsulting, Tools and TrainingTechnical Writing
BridgeHead Software delivers data and storage management solutions and services to healthcare organisations…
Consulting, Tools and TrainingTechnical WritingTranslation and Localization
Promethean designs and produces interactive displays for classrooms, as well as develops its…
Consulting, Tools and TrainingImprove flexibilityInformation designNewsTechnical Writing
Rebranding product documentation? Here’s how we did it for Vodafone
Vodafone portal rebranding Rebranding may not be the first word we think of…
Consulting, Tools and TrainingNewsTechnical WritingTranslation and Localization
Write2Users Conference 2017
The fifth edition of Write2Users Conference, organized by the Danish company Write2Users, was…